Thursday, November 15, 2007

Scam or not

Title: Scam or not

I was totally surprised by what happened. I just could not believe i've got cheated. If i had known i would be cheated of $1.95, i would rather take train with Gerry and Melise ( a longer route home) just to avoid a simple scam.

The thing started when Maureen and the rest were sitting opposite to me and Amy. So when Maureen stood up and allowed a seemingly sick guy her seat, Fish and Evangeline immediately swapped places with Danny and Derek respectively. To me, i was like, "what a reaction!" haha. Anyway, the funny thing was that I was told by Maureen she even lent her bottle to the guy for a drink (Maureen's bottle can be used as display only in her house). The guy was using a cloth. He used much force in his grab around his towel to cover his mouth and his frequent actions of wanting to puke (but never successfully vomitted) crafted him a perfect role as a patient. Oh my, that instant i thought he was really unwell. Derek could be seen very concerned with him and kept talking to him.

When it was Clementi Station, Maureen, Derek, Mr. Alfred, Evangeline, Amy and Fish left. I still remember Maureen saying to me,"Hey Kwan Chet, sit over here and take care of him." (好介绍,Maureen) haha. That was the key point in the progress to the climax.

I even talked to him. So he said he was living in America for the past 2 years and just came back the day before. So he was not used to the train. I was already doubting if he had really stayed in USA. Firstly, he did not even have the accent and he was just not exhibiting the behavior of a typical American.

Reaching Jurong East Station, he began searching his bag and then claimed his card was lost. I being kind-hearted followed him, with Danny and Yi Da to the MRT control room. When he was asked to pay his $1.95 fare because he took the train from Punggol, he did his classic search but this time into his wallet. The end-result, needless to say, was he has got no money. I then offered to pay. The thing when he walked out past the gate, he kept looking back while walking away. Danny even claimed that he smiled (a wicked one, i guess). I even asked him where he was going. He said he wanted to see a doctor now and going back to Punggol where he lived. Yi Da was the "best". He was talking on the phone all the time. He was still talking after the person left. I had to stop him from chatting on the phone. Then he said he saw the person a few times and once on MRT when the train was going towards Pasir Ris and he was on the phone asking how to go to Woodlands. (oh my, made me felt i was really cheated)

Anyway, Maureen told me that she and the rest who alighted at Clementi were happy that they did a good deed. But for me, i did also. But was it really for someone in need?

Something bemuses me was that he might not be cheating me as he might really be sick. Also, a person would not cheat for just $1.95. Did he cheat or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment